When I spotted bananas on special for 99 cents a kilo a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn’t help myself from buying up big. While we do seem to go through a ridiculous amount of bananas each week (I swear I’m raising two monkeys!), there were still a good 8 or so I needed to use asap before they turned to mush. This easy Wholemeal Banana Bread recipe seemed like the perfect way to use up a few bananas as it’s perfect to enjoy anytime of the day!
I have to admit my favourite way to eat this easy Wholemeal Banana Bread to is cut the ends off while it’s still warm and eat with a glass of ice cold milk. My boys on the other had love to eat it toasted and drizzled with a little honey, which is probably my second favourite way to eat it too!
You will get around 8 generous slices from this recipe, but don’t worry if you don’t need that many as you can wrap this Wholemeal Banana Bread and store it in the freezer – it never seems to last that long in our house though!
Easy Wholemeal Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 & ½ cups 225g of wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ⅓ cup 80g of caster sugar
- ⅓ cup 70g of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 medium sized bananas – mashed
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and lightly grease (or line with baking paper) a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the wholemeal flour, baking powder, cinnamon, caster sugar and brown sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and mashed banana to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Pour the banana bread mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for one hour or until the banana bread is cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.
Thermomix Wholemeal Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and lightly grease a large loaf tin.
- Place the wholemeal flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the Thermomix bowl and blitz 3 to 4 times on .5 sec turbo to sift the ingredients together. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and bananas (which have been quartered) into the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 seconds on speed 6 to combine. You may need to mix for longer depending on how ripe your bananas are.
- Add the dry ingredients to the Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down the sides of your Thermomix bowl and mix for a further 5 seconds on speed 5.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for one hour or until the banana bread is golden on top and cooked through when tested with a skewer
If you are looking for more banana inspired recipes, make sure you check out my yummy Banana Cake recipe as well as my classic Banana Bread recipe.
This looks like a smooth loaf… if that makes sense? Jacob made a banana and date loaf for when we went away. Its a good taste combo. x