Ok so these Chocolate Chip Waffles may not be the healthiest way to start the day, but they are certainly one of the yummiest, anyway it’s all about moderation right?!? I’ve recently gotten my hands on a waffle maker after all of these years and have quickly discovered I have a love for all things waffle – what a surprise!
I’ve been experimenting with different waffle recipes (even some healthy ones so don’t worry!) and these Chocolate Chip Waffles are not only easy to make but are also the perfect breakfast treat for those special occasions – school holidays I’m looking at you!
If you want to pimp your waffles up even more (and who wouldn’t) try melting 100g of milk chocolate and drizzle it over the top, you won’t be disappointed believe me! You can then reduce the guilt factor by serving your choc chip waffles with a few fresh strawberries, I’m pleased (and slightly surprised) to say my boys went for the strawberries first before trying the waffles!
Chocolate Chip Waffles
- 1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs - separated
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 75 g butter - melted
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Preheat your waffle press until it's heated and ready to use.
- Mix together the self raising flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and vanilla essence. Add these wet ingredients to the bowl with the flour mixture and whisk together.
- In a clean and dry bowl, whisk the egg whites together until diff peaks form. Add the caster sugar and continue to whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the egg whites are glossy and thick. Gently fold through the eggs whites and chocolate chips with the rest of your waffle mixture.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop up with waffle batter and pour over the waffle press before lowering the lid and locking it down to cook for 4 minutes or until the waffles are cooked to your liking. Repeat until you have used all of your chocolate chip waffle mixture.
- Serve chocolate chip waffles warm with a side of fresh strawberries
This recipes makes around 8 waffles depending on the size of your waffle press, and if you do have any leftovers you can pop them into the freezer to enjoy another time.
As my love for our waffle maker is strong, prepare to see a few recipes popping up over the next few weeks, I’d love to hear what your favourite waffle recipe is.
Is there an appliance you can’t believe you’ve never tried before?