Have you ever wondered how to make Vanilla Extract? Well this post is for you!
I’ve been making my own Vanilla Extract for a couple of years now and there is no way I will ever go back to buying it! Vanilla Extract is incredibly simple to make and all you need is a few vanilla beans and some vodka – too easy! Now that Christmas isn’t too far away (yes, I know this is a VERY scary thought!) now is the time to make your Vanilla Extract so that it will be lovely and rich by Christmas time.
While I like to make up a couple of bottles to keep me going throughout the year, I also like to make up my own Vanilla Extract to give as gifts too. In the past I have purchased small bottles from Kmart or other discount stores to transfer it into and I’ve given bottles of it both on it’s own and also as part of a homemade Christmas Hamper.
Once you’ve made your vanilla extract and have started using it, just top it up with vodka as the bottle is used. You can also add a couple of fresh vanilla pods to it too.
You can learn how to make Vanilla Extract below..
How to Make Vanilla Extract
- 10 - 12 vanilla beans
- 600 ml vodka
- Slice the vanilla beans lengthways so that you can see the vanilla inside.
- Place the split vanilla beans into a glass jar/bottle and add the vodka.
- Pop the lid on and give the bottle/jar a gentle shake.
- Store the bottle/jar of vanilla extract in a dark place and give it a gentle shake once a week.
- You can use your homemade vanilla extract after one month, but I prefer to leave it for two months if possible.