This Crunchy Noodle Salad with Toasted Almonds is the perfect salad for your next party!
This is my take on the classic Chinese Crunchy Noodle Salad recipe that everyone is certainly familiar with by now. I can remember the first time I tried this salad, not long after I had moved to Brisbane almost 13 years ago (wow I feel old!) and I remember thinking how ‘fancy’ it was (I was only 20 at the time) and I couldn’t get enough of it.
I’ve lost count how many times I’ve made this salad over the years and as I just can’t help myself, I’ve put my own spin on this classic salad recipe. I like to use a mixture of red and green cabbage as not only does it look pretty (which is super important!) but I think it also tastes better and I like to also toast the almonds before adding them to the salad. In this version I’ve used silvered almonds, however I’ve also used flaked and roughly chopped whole almonds (and even walnuts) in the past, which all worked well.
I know these are just a couple of small changes to this recipe, but I really think it helps to make this salad even more amazing – I promise!
Crunchy Noodle Salad with Toasted Almonds
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 small red cabbage
- 1 small wombok cabbage
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 100 g of silvered almonds - toasted
- 100 g packet of thick crunchy noodles
- Lightly toast the almonds and set aside to cool.
- Cut the red cabbage and wombok cabbage into thin slice and place into a large salad bowl.
- Thinly slice the spring onions and stir through the cabbage.
- Place the liquid ingredients into a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Add the salad dressing to the bowl with the chopped cabbage and spring onions and lightly mix to combine. Add the toasted almonds and crunchy noodles to the salad and serve immediately.
What’s your favourite classic salad recipe?
If you are looking for more yummy salad recipes, why not try my super easy Potato Salad recipe?!