When I spotted bananas on special for 99 cents a kilo a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn’t help myself from buying up big. While we do seem to go through a ridiculous amount of bananas each week (I swear I’m raising two monkeys!), there were still a good 8 or so I needed to use asap before they turned to mush. This easy Wholemeal Banana Bread recipe seemed like the perfect way to use up a few bananas as it’s perfect to enjoy anytime of the day!
I have to admit my favourite way to eat this easy Wholemeal Banana Bread to is cut the ends off while it’s still warm and eat with a glass of ice cold milk. My boys on the other had love to eat it toasted and drizzled with a little honey, which is probably my second favourite way to eat it too!
You will get around 8 generous slices from this recipe, but don’t worry if you don’t need that many as you can wrap this Wholemeal Banana Bread and store it in the freezer – it never seems to last that long in our house though!
Easy Wholemeal Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 & 1/2 cups 225g of wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/3 cup 80g of caster sugar
- 1/3 cup 70g of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 medium sized bananas – mashed
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and lightly grease (or line with baking paper) a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the wholemeal flour, baking powder, cinnamon, caster sugar and brown sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and mashed banana to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Pour the banana bread mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for one hour or until the banana bread is cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.
Thermomix Wholemeal Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and lightly grease a large loaf tin.
- Place the wholemeal flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the Thermomix bowl and blitz 3 to 4 times on .5 sec turbo to sift the ingredients together. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and bananas (which have been quartered) into the Thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 seconds on speed 6 to combine. You may need to mix for longer depending on how ripe your bananas are.
- Add the dry ingredients to the Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down the sides of your Thermomix bowl and mix for a further 5 seconds on speed 5.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for one hour or until the banana bread is golden on top and cooked through when tested with a skewer