Last year I took the boys strawberry picking for the first time and as we are just a wee bit obsessed with strawberries at the moment (especially as they are just so cheap!), we are eagerly waiting for our local strawberry farm to re-open for the season so we can do it again! In the meantime we have been working our way through more than a kilo of strawberries each week (as they are in season and just so cheap at the moment) and revisiting our favourite strawberry recipes in anticipation of picking our own. We made these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes (a variation of my Strawberry and Cream Cakes I made last year) for a morning tea with friends recently and they were a hit with everyone.
Although these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes are perfect as is, you can also sprinkle a little grated chocolate (or try using a chocolate flake bar) on top to add an extra layer of deliciousness, but I was more than happy to eat my cupcake (ok, two of them!) as is.
When you think about it, this recipe is guaranteed to be popular with everyone, after all who can resist a yummy vanilla cupcake topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries?!?
Thermomix Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, softened butter, sugar, vanilla extract, milk and eggs into your Thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 seconds on speed 5 before scraping the sides and mixing for a further 10 seconds on speed 5 or until the cupcake mixture is pale and smooth.
- Place the mixture into your prepared cupcake tray and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes begin to turn golden on top and are cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the trays from the oven and allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, to make the whipped cream place the the thickened cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar into a small bowl and whip until soft peaks form.
- Slice the strawberries into thirds lengthways and set aside until needed.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, top with the whipped cream and strawberries – enjoy immediately.
Do you love strawberries too? Have you ever picked your own?