Welcome to Fabulous Foodie Fridays – and an extra big welcome to all of the new bloggers that linked up last week! We are so happy to have you join us and it’s so great to have such an incredible variety of recipes each week. So grab a cuppa (or a cocktail), loosen your belt and get ready for another deliciously scrumptious party.
This week I’m going to share with you one of my favourite lunch recipes. First of all though – a little confession. I am absolutely obsessed with sushi. I love it so much. To be honest, I’m not a ‘real’ sushi fan (as in the raw fish variety), but gosh I love every other variety. Give me a crispy chicken, tuna, or teriyaki beef sushi roll any day! The only thing is that white rice and me aren’t the best of friends. I can eat a little bit of it, but I tend to get really bloated if I eat too much. So, when I’m at home I make my sushi rolls using quinoa – it’s the perfect alternative because you still get that delicious sushi flavour but without the bloating afterwards. Double yay!
To make the sushi rolls you simply cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Once the quinoa is cooked, stir through some rice wine vinegar. Meanwhile, prep your fillings (this time I used leftover beef schnitzel, avocado, BBQ sauce and Kewpie mayo – but you can use whatever you like!). Place the nori sheet onto a bamboo mat and dampen slightly. Add the cooked quinoa and spread out (leaving a 1 inch gap at one end). Place your fillings in a straight line, and roll the sushi into a long, thin cylinder shape using the bamboo mat to help you.
Cut into small pieces and serve with soy sauce (you may also like to add wasabi and ginger). And that’s it! It’s so simple and easy to make sushi that is just as yummy but way less bloating than the white rice variety.
Quinoa Sushi - Fabulous Foodie Fridays #41
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 3 nori sheets
- 3 tbs Kewpie mayonnaise
- soy sauce wasabi and ginger to serve (optional)
- Filling suggestions: sliced cooked chicken breast and avocado terikayi beef, tuna and corn, vegetable strips, crispy chicken strips and sweet chilli
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water.
- Place the quinoa into a saucepan, cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Place the quinoa onto a plate and cool to room temperature before placing into the fridge to cool completely.
- Place a nori sheet onto a bamboo mat.
- Spread the quinoa 2/3 of the way across the nori sheet (leaving a 1 inch gap on the side farthest from you).
- Place 1/3 of your fillings in a straight line on top of the quinoa.
- Moisten the opposite end of the nori sheet with water (the part that doesn’t have any quinoa).
- Use the bamboo mat to tightly roll the end closest to you toward the farthest end. You should end up with a long cylinder shape.
- Cut each sushi roll using a sharp knife into small pieces.
Lauren from Create Bake Make , Lucy from Bake Play Smile and now Dannielle from Zamamabakes have put their chocolate filled minds together, to bring you the newest and yummiest link up party in town…. Fabulous Foodie Fridays.
THE RULES FOR THE PARTY ARE SIMPLE:
1. Please only link up food or drink related posts. You can share up to 3 posts each week. They don’t have to be recent posts, but please make them new to the ‘Fabulous Foodie Fridays’ party.
2. Simply add your links and they will automatically show up on both of our blogs… it’s that easy!
3. It’s sooo not a party without mingling…. please visit and comment on at least three other links that are near you in the list.
4. Follow us on social media so you can keep up to date with all the Fabulous Foodie Fridays goss!
5. Feel free to grab the Fabulous Foodie Fridays button and share the love around!
6. Leave a comment below so we know that you came and partied with us – we want to return the favour and visit you too.
* By adding your link, you are giving Bake Play Smile, Create Bake Make and Zamamabakes permission to post one photo from your post with a link back to the full recipe for party features and future roundups on our blogs and possibly share your image and link on social media. Oh and of course we will also let you know about upcoming Fabulous Foodie Fridays link parties!