Happy Fabulous Foodie Fridays everyone! I don’t know about you, but I am definitely feeling a big baking weekend coming on, so I can’t wait to get inspired by all todays delicious recipes. First up though, here’s my favourite picks from last weeks party… and they really are foodie fabulousness (is that a word!!??) at it’s best!!
It’s certainly Salad weather, and I’m planning to make this Pesto Pasta Salad from I Spy Plum Pie this weekend.
I love this twist on a classic dessert from Zamamabakes – who could resist chocolate centred syrup dumplings?
We love to eat with our hands in this house (it’s a boy thing!) and these Crispy Coconut Chicken Tacos from Pretty Mayhem look like the perfect casual meal!
Dessert that’s good for you? Yes please! Thank you My Brown Paper Packages!
To finish off this weeks favourites, I couldn’t go past this Silverbeet Spanikopita from Rosehips and Rhubarb – Yum!
Now pop over and check out Lucy’s favourite picks too!
This week I thought I would share one of my favourite pasta recipes with you. It’s a beautiful, light spring pasta that is just totally delicious. If you love heavy pasta sauces then this is not for you!! A little bit of freshly squeezed lemon, cracked pepper and sea salt is all that’s needed to let the fresh flavours of this Bacon, Asparagus & Tomato Spring Pasta shine through and become the focus of the dish.
As much as I would love to eat a huge bowl of pasta, my body really doesn’t like it and I end up really bloated. So my trick with this pasta is to use lots of lovely fresh vegetables and a smaller amount of pasta. On the other hand, if you are a carboholic then go right ahead and simple increase the amount of pasta you use (and know that I’m so very, very jealous of you!).
First off you start by boiling your pasta – and yep, you can use any kind of pasta you like. Just make sure that you add enough salt to your boiling water. The number 1 trick to cooking delicious pasta is adequately salted water! While the pasta is boiling, pop some chopped up bacon in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil. When it’s just started to look crispy, add in the chopped onion and asparagus and cook for a couple of minutes until the asparagus is ready. You want it to still be firm but not totally hard.
Then it’s simply a matter of draining your pasta and popping it back into the pot (I like to leave the tiniest amount of pasta water in the pot too – only about 1-2 tablespoons though). Add the cooked bacon, asparagus and onion. Pop in the chopped tomatoes, avocado and baby spinach or rocket. Squeeze a fresh lemon over the top and season well with cracked salt and pepper. Stir well. Serve with parmesan cheese…. and possibly a glass of wine! This is definitely my favourite kind of pasta – one that is light, fresh and full of flavour!
- 350g-400g dried pasta shells (use more or less depending on how much pasta you like)
- 200g bacon, chopped into small squares
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into thirds
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into small cubes (or 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1 avocado, chopped into cubes
- 50g baby spinach or rocket (about 2 large handfuls)
- 1 large lemon
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to serve
- Grated/shaved parmesan cheese, to serve
- Cook pasta in a pot of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and cook with the olive oil in a frying pan until nearly crispy.
- Add the chopped asparagus and onion to the frying pan and cook until the asparagus has just started to soften.
- Drain pasta and place back into pot.
- Add cooked bacon, asparagus and onion.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, avocado and baby spinach (or rocket).
- Squeeze over the juice of 1 fresh lemon.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
Lauren from Create Bake Make & Lucy from Bake Play Smile have put their chocolate filled minds together, to bring you the newest and yummiest link up party in town…. Fabulous Foodie Fridays.
The rules for the party are simple:
1. Please only link up food or drink related posts. You can share up to 3 posts each week. They don’t have to be recent posts, but please make them new to the ‘Fabulous Foodie Fridays’ party.
2. Simply add your links and they will automatically show up on both of our blogs… it’s that easy!
3. It’s sooo not a party without mingling…. please visit and comment on at least three other links that are near you in the list.
4. Follow us on social media so you can keep up to date with all the Fabulous Foodie Fridays goss!
5. Feel free to grab the Fabulous Foodie Fridays button and share the love around!
6. Leave a comment below so we know that you came and partied with us – we want to return the favour and visit you too.
* By adding your link, you are giving Bake Play Smile and Create Bake Make permission to post one photo from your post with a link back to the full recipe for party features and future roundups on our blogs and possibly share your image and link on social media. Oh and of course we will also let you know about upcoming Fabulous Foodie Fridays link parties!