Happy Friday, we hope you have all had a deliciously wonderful week! We had everything from the perfect cake for a little princess, homemade marmalade and a lesson in making your own tortillas linked up with us last week. With so much variety, it’s hard to know what to
drool over look at first!
Some of my favourites from last week include:
Don’t forget to pop over to Bake Play Smile to check out Lucy’s favourite posts.
This week I’m sharing my recipe for Carrot, Walnut and Chia Cake. I’ve taken my favourite parts from a couple of recipes and combined them into one delicious cake – yum!
Naturally I made a cream cheese icing to go with this cake, as these two flavours are perfect together. If you are trying to reduce the guilt factor, you could make a plain icing or this cake is also delicious all on it’s own.
This is a pretty versatile recipe and you can substitute some of the ingredients. I prefer to use wholemeal flour, but you can also use regular flour. You can use pecans or even macadamias instead of walnuts, and raisins or currants would also be great substitutes.
Now, let’s make this yummy cake!!
Carrot, Walnut & Chia Cake - Fabulous Foodie Fridays #14
- 1 1/2 cups of wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- 2 1/2 cups of grated carrot
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of sultanas
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 20cm ring tin.
Add the sugar and vegetable oil to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 2 - 3 minutes until combined.
Add the eggs one at a time and beat well before adding the next egg.
Sift over the flour, nutmeg and cinnamon and add the grated carrot, coconut, walnuts, sultanas and chia seeds. On a low setting, mix ingredients together until they have just combined.
Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked when a skewer is inserted in the middle.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the cream cheese frosting, using an electric mixer beat until smooth. Add 1/3 cup of sifted icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and continue to beat until combined.
Lauren from Create Bake Make & Lucy from Bake Play Smile have put their chocolate filled minds together, to bring you the newest and yummiest link up party in town…. Fabulous Foodie Fridays.Each week we’ll select 5 of our favourite recipes to feature on the following Fabulous Foodie Fridays link up party, so be sure to check back and see if your recipe is featured.
The rules for the party are simple:
1. Please only link up food or drink related posts. You can share up to 3 posts each week. They don’t have to be recent posts, but please make them new to the ‘Fabulous Foodie Fridays’ party.
2. Simply add your links and they will automatically show up on both of our blogs… it’s that easy!
3. It’s sooo not a party without mingling…. please visit and comment on at least three other links that are near you in the list.
4. Follow us on social media so you can keep up to date with all the Fabulous Foodie Fridays goss!
5. Feel free to grab the Fabulous Foodie Fridays button and share the love around!
6. Leave a comment below so we know that you came and partied with us – we want to return the favour and visit you too.
* By adding your link, you are giving Bake Play Smile and Create Bake Make permission to post one photo from your post with a link back to the full recipe for party features and future roundups on our blogs and possibly share your image and link on social media. Oh and of course we will also let you know about upcoming Fabulous Foodie Fridays link parties!