Don’t let the name fool you, although this recipe is called ‘Breakfast Bars’ (from the lovely Donna Hay), I dare you to try to resist these throughout the day! Instead of making the muesli slab into bars, I cut it into small slices, which are perfect for morning tea.
I couldn’t resist adding to the original recipe, I used it as a starting point, and then added various ingredients we had in the pantry. I added the honey as due to the extra ingredients I had added, I felt it needed a bit more help to bind together.
I LOVE these, and both of my big boys were also impressed. Our toddler even swiped a piece whilst I was taking photos of the slice and I found him sitting back on the couch quite happy with himself. After cutting the slice, there was a bit of leftovers on the baking paper – these were awesome mixed with vanilla yoghurt and strawberries! I’m now thinking of even making this combination up as a muesli mix.
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2/3 cup plain whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut
- 2 tablespoons LSA mix
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup honey/or honey substitute if you would prefer
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Place oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, quinoa (and pepitas if using) on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for around 10 minutes until golden
- Place the wheat germ, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and stir to combine (add coconut, LSA mix and chia seeds also if using)
- Add the oil, egg, honey (if using) and vanilla and stir until smooth
- Add the oat mixture and the cranberry/goji berry mixture and stir to combine
- Spoon mixture into a slice tin lined with baking paper and push down using the back of a spoon. Bake in over for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool further, then cut into bars/slices and enjoy!