Ok, I will admit I didn’t read through the whole page of this recipe for Lemon and Almond Cake before I started making it. The title hooked me, I love almond cake and my sister loves lemon cake… perfect!
When I finally read through the whole thing, and the suggestion to wrap the cake in foil and leave it for a couple of days before actually eating it, I was annoyed.. When I make a cake, I want to be able to eat it NOW – maybe this impatience is the Gen Y in me coming out?
As much as it pained me to do it, once the cake was cooled, I carefully wrapped it in a couple of layers of foil and left it for two days before we tasted it.
The lemon flavour was quite intense – paired with some fresh strawberries and sprinkled with icing sugar it was really nice, and not too tart. It is a really moist and dense cake (hence the name ‘Damp Lemon & Almond Cake’ I guess), and the texture reminded me of the Coffee Club’s Orange and Almond loaf which is one of my all time favourites. I will make this again, just to substitute the lemon for oranges.
This cake is perfect to make on a Friday afternoon & then enjoy on a lazy Sunday.
Lemon and Almond Cake
- 225 g soft unsalted butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 50 g plain flour
- 225 g ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar until almost white.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a quarter of the flour after each addition
- When all eggs and flour have been added, stir in the ground almonds, then the almond essence, lemon juice and zest.
- Pour mixture into 21-23cm springform cake tin (lined on the bottom) and bake for approximately one hour. Check after 30 minutes and if it’s browning too quickly cover the top with foil.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, and then remove onto a wire rack
- Once cool, wrap well in foil for a couple of days before eating.
If you like this Lemon and Almond Cake, make sure you check out my Lemon Butter Cake recipe, Lemon and Coconut Blondies or these easy no bake Lemon and Coconut Balls