When I want to bake with my big boy, I always want a simple recipe that doesn’t require too much preparation. Last week when he was in a good mood and I wanted to use up a container of sour cream that was sitting in the fridge, I turned to my trusty Donna Hay ‘Fast, Fresh and Simple’ book & found a recipe for lemon yoghurt cake which Iooked like it would fit the bill.
This is a one bowl Lemon Coconut Cake, with lots of mixing involved – perfect when you have an enthusiastic little helper!
I made a few adjustments to the original recipe, mainly due to not having all of the ingredients listed. A lemon frosting is recommended, however I made a plain simple icing which went well with the Lemony cake.
Lemon Coconut Cake
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 200 g of light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 3/4 cups castor sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut
- Lemon Frosting
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt (sour cream & milk) and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift over the flour and add the coconut and stir until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a greased 24cm fluted ring tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer
- While the cake is still hot, remove from the tin and place on plate
- To make lemon frosting gently stir together the sugar and lemon juice and spoon over cake and allow to set.
** You can also just use a plain icing as I did which also works well.