Every weekend when we were kids, we would make the hour car trip up to my Nan’s place to visit. While it wasn’t the most exciting way to spend the weekend, the highlight was definitely her cooking, especially her homemade Beef and Vegetable Pasties.
This is Nan’s recipe, and while I like to add a few extra herbs and veggies to my pasties, the pastry and basic ingredients are all hers. When it comes to the fillings for your homemade Beef and Vegetable Pasties, you can add as little or as many vegetables as you like. I like to add whatever I’ve got in the fridge along with some frozen peas and corn.
These homemade Beef and Vegetables Pasties are perfect on their own, but taste even better when served with a little homemade tomato sauce or relish. They are also freezer friendly, simply pop your cooked pasties into a freezer bag/container and pop in the freezer until needed.
This recipe makes six good size pasties, however you could certainly make them smaller (a great idea if making them for kids) and simply adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Thermomix Homemade Beef and Vegetable Pasties Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees and line a tray with baking paper.
- Place the flour, self raising flour, cold butter (which has been cut into cubes) and a pinch of salt into your Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 6 for 10 seconds or until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and knead for 1 minute. If you find your dough isn’t coming together, add an extra tablespoon of water and knead for a further minute.
- Tip the dough onto a floured bench and lightly knead to form a ball. Cover with cling wrap and pop into the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- While your dough is resting, place the carrot (cut into 3cm pieces) and onion (halved) into your Thermomix bowl and blitz for 3 seconds on speed 7 to grate. If you would like your vegetable pieces smaller, blitz for a further 2 -3 seconds.
- Add the beef mince, dried mixed herbs, onion flakes, tomato relish and salt and pepper and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
- Add the frozen peas and corn and mix on REVERSE for 10 seconds on speed 4 or until combined.
- Roll out the pastry dough until it’s around 3mm thick and cut into six rounds the size of a saucer and brush edges with a small amount of water to moisten.
- Add filling mixture to centre of each round.
- Bring sides of pastry together at the top to enclose filling. Pinch the pastry together to secure.
- Brush the tops of the homemade Beef and Vegetable Pasties with milk glaze and bake for 35 minutes or until golden and cooked through.